Transfer Advising

Transfer Questions to Consider:

  1. Do I have to finish my Associate’s degree to transfer?

    Associate of Arts and Science degrees are general transfer degrees. Completion of these degrees is generally equivalent to the first two years of a four year degree. However, you do not need an associate’s degree to transfer. To be considered a transfer student you must successfully complete a minimum of 12 credits. Otherwise you would apply as a high school student using your high school transcripts.

  2. How do I decide when to transfer?

    The optimal time to transfer is at the completion of all common courses offered by Helena College and required by the program of study at the institution you are planning to attend.

  3. What do I need to do to transfer?

    First, research the institution and program you are planning to attend. If possible try to visit the campus, attend a class, meet with students and/or faculty within the area you hope to study. Identify if the program is a good fit. Second, follow their application process being careful to meet their application deadlines. Your records can be transferred from one Montana institution to another using the Transmittal Application located on-line or at the Registrar’s Office. Next, check with the Admission Office or Advising Office at your new university to make sure your records have been transferred and evaluated in time to register.

  4. Does acceptance by a university guarantee acceptance into the program of study you are planning to attend?

    No, often programs and majors have their own application process. It is important that you research not only the institution you hope to attend but the requirements of the program as well. There can be prerequisites, minimum grade requirements, and an application process to be completed before one can be admitted into a particular program.

Transfer students

Students who have attended an accredited institution will need to fill out a new student application

Transfer students are required to complete all application materials.

Do your credits transfer to Helena College?

If you wish to have your previous transcripts evaluated, submit official transcripts in the sealed envelope the institution sent the transcript. If the envelope has been opened or the seal has been tampered with, the transcript is not official. While we cannot guarantee a transfer evaluation prior to admissions into the college, we encourage you to look at our transfer equivalencies webpage to get an idea of what credits we have accepted from institutions in the past and how they have been evaluated. Contents of this guide are subject to change depending on the requirements of institutional programs. If a class is not in the transfer guide it does not necessarily mean the course will not transfer, it is possible we have not reviewed the course yet.

If you have attended a Montana University System institution you may be eligible to have your file transferred. Please contact the admissions and records office at 406-447-6912 for more information.

Strategies for Transferring

Montana University System

  1. Completing an A.A. or A.S. Degree
  2. Completing Montana University System Core
  3. Complete the General Education Core according to your anticipated Montana higher education institution and program.

Forms for Transferring

Helena College General Transfer Degrees

  • Associate of Arts Degree
  • Emphases in Accounting, Business, Humanities/Fine Arts, Interior Design, Natural Science/Math, Social /Psychological Science, and Mental Health Direct Care
  • Associate of Science Degree
  • Emphases in Accounting, Business, and Computers
  • 4 Year Partnerships

Helena College is pleased to offer our students access to academic programs with other institutions from across the state.

Montana Technology/ Helena College - B.A.S/B.I.T. Acct/Business Technology

UM-Western/ Helena College - B.S. Secondary Education/ Industrial Education and A.A.S. Early Childhood Education

Articulated Agreements

Western Governors University - B.S. in Nursing

MSU-Northern - B.S. in Automotive Technology

Carroll College - Acct./Bus. Technology and Computer Technology

Helena College Chat