Admissions and Enrollment

Interested in Helena College?

Helena College Student

Programs offered

Request information

Schedule a visit

Shadow a Program

Ready to Apply? – It’s easy!

  • Apply for Admission
  • Apply for Financial Aid
  • Apply for Scholarships
  • Meet with Your Advisor
  • Register for Classes
  • Attend Orientation

***Preferred web browser is Chrome or Firefox.***

Choose the following category that best describes you!

First Time Students (I am or will be a high school graduate or have not attended any college)

Transfer Students (I have previously attended another college or university.)

Readmit (returning) Students (I have previously attended Helena College)

Non-Degree Seeking Students (I am taking classes for seven credits or less)

Dual Enrollment Students (I am a high school student and would like to take classes)

Home School Students

Are you a veteran?  Check out our Veterans Benefits page.

Residency Classification

Western Undergraduate Exchange Program (WUE)

First Time Students

Those who have never attended college before, please start by completing a new student application .

You will need to submit the following Application Materials to complete your admissions file

  • Proof of immunizations.  You will need to obtain TWO doses of the Mumps, Measles and Rubella (MMR) vaccination.
  •  ACT/SAT scores if available.
  • Official high school transcript with posted graduation date. Transcripts must be received by Helena College in a sealed envelope from the high school. If you are a current high school student, you will be accepted conditionally on the arrival of your transcripts with the posted graduation date. OR
  • GED scores

Transfer students

Students who have attended an accredited institution will need to fill out a new student application

Transfer students are required to complete all application materials.

Do your credits transfer to Helena College?

If you wish to have your previous transcripts evaluated, submit official transcripts in the sealed envelope the institution sent the transcript. If the envelope has been opened or the seal has been tampered with, the transcript is not official. While we cannot guarantee a transfer evaluation prior to admissions into the college, we encourage you to look at our transfer equivalencies webpage to get an idea of what credits we have accepted from institutions in the past and how they have been evaluated. Contents of this guide are subject to change depending on the requirements of institutional programs. If a class is not in the transfer guide it does not necessarily mean the course will not transfer, it is possible we have not reviewed the course yet.

If you have attended a Montana University System institution you may be eligible to have your file transferred. Please contact the admissions and records office at 406-447-6912 for more information.


The Admissions & Records office evaluates and reviews all official college transcripts for transfer students. For more information on the transfer policy, please visit the Montana Board of Regents website.

Please Note:  Transcript evaluations will only occur when the admissions checklist is COMPLETE and received by the priority deadline.  The priority deadline is one month prior to the first day of classes of the desired term.  Otherwise the evaluation will be completed by the following semester registration.

Readmit (returning) Students

If you applied for admissions more than a year ago but did not attend classes you will be required to fill out an application for admission, provide your official transcripts and copies of your MMRs, and pay the non-refundable $30 application fee. If it has been less than one year since you applied you are only required to submit an application for admission and any remaining Transcripts and/or MMRs. The $30 application fee is not required.

Former degree seeking students who have earned credits at Helena College are welcome and encouraged to return to us. If you have been away from Helena College for two or more academic semesters you will need to fill out an application for admission as a returning student. If you sat out for only one academic semester you may contact the Admissions Office at 406-447-6912 or 406-447-6907 for information on registering for classes.

Non-Degree Seeking Students

Non-degree seeking students are limited to seven credits and cannot receive financial aid. For Montana residents, your application fee will be waived. All other applicants will be charged a $30 application fee for each application submitted. If you have attended a corresponding MUS institution, please submit an unofficial transcript to waive the $30 application fee.

Application Deferment

If you applied for admissions to Helena College but are unable to attend for your selected semester you may be eligible to submit a deferment form. With a completed deferment form we will take all application material on file for you and move it to a subsequent semester of your choice. You may only defer your admissions for three semester (roughly one calendar year) before you will be asked to submit a new application and fee. Deferments are only applicable to students who have recently applied to, but not attended, Helena College. If you have questions about your deferment eligibility please contact admissions at 406-447-6912.

Home School Students

Home school students will need to meet Ability to Benefit requirements.  Please contact the Admissions and Records office at 406-447-6912 or 406-447-6907 for more information.

Residency classification

In order to be eligible for in state tuition, you must have taken certain actions to become a Montana resident and be able to prove those actions occurred in the last twelve months and at least 60 days after your specified date of moving to Montana. 
Those actions include:

  • Obtaining a Montana driver’s license or state ID card
  • Montana vehicle registration
  • Montana voter registration
  • Filing MT state income taxes
  • Purchasing a home in Montana

If you have further questions on the residency policy, please visit the board of regent’s website at

Please download and print a copy of the Student Guide to Residency and the residency questionnaire and attach copies of any and all items that you have from the pre-screening form. The completed packet and materials must be submitted  to the admissions office prior to the final add date for the semester (15th instructional day of classes).

Western Undergraduate Exchange Program

Helena College University of Montana offers a limited number of Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) waivers each year. Students who are residents of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming may be considered for this waiver.

WUE waivers are offered to select non-Montana resident students who are then eligible to pay reduced tuition and fees. Non-resident tuition and fees for 15 credits are approximately $4,742.30 per semester. As a WUE recipient, you would pay tuition and fees of approximately $2,393.30 per semester. This award extends to the completion of a student's program or 2 years, whichever occurs first, provided the student:

  1. Enrolls in 12 or more credits each semester
  2. Maintains a 2.5 cumulative grade point average
  3. Does not change his/her program of study
  4. Does not change his/her state of legal residence

Please complete and return the WUE application form to Admissions & New Student Services as soon as possible. If you have any questions about the WUE waiver, please contact or call (406) 447-6912.
Download WUE Application

Ready for the next step on your way to becoming a Helena College student?

Apply for Financial Aid

Helena College Chat