Welcome Veterans!

Our veteran students carry a higher GPA than their non-veteran counterparts.  Your skills, discipline and drive will help you achieve your next milestone in life.  At Helena College, we salute our veterans and their families for their service and their sacrifice.  Let us help you obtain your college degree.

Applying for Benefits

APPLY for your Veteran's Educational benefits online at: www.vets.gov 

Military with Books
  • Chapter 30 Montgomery Veteran's Educational
  • Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Chapter 33 Post 9/11 Veteran's Educational
  • Chapter 33 Transfer of Eligibility
  • Chapter 35 Dependents/Survivors
  • Chapter 1606 Guard/Reserves
  • Yellow Ribbon

If you are unsure under which Chapter you are eligible to receive benefits, see the Veterans Eligibility page.

If you at some time qualified for benefits but are no longer eligible, you may qualify for exemption from tuition charges and registration fee only (other fees are not included). Complete a Montana University System Honorably Discharged Veteran Fee Waiver application. Download here

Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program allows institutions of higher learning to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the Veterans Administration to fund tuition expenses. You must be 100% eligible for Chapter 33. This program will benefit those who do not have Montana state residency at Helena College.

Application and Certification Information: Apply to the college. Submit any military transcripts: jst.doded.mil 

AFTER your admissions file is complete:

  • Meet with the Veteran Resources Coordinator every semester you want to be certified for benifts.
  • Complete an Information form and Requirement/Guideline form.
  • Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility from the Veteran's Administration.
  • Sign a "Payment Responsibility Form":  Chapter 33 form or Chapter 1606, 30, 35 form.
  • Audited, challenged and online course numbers below 100 are not certifiable.
  • Report immediately when dropping/adding courses or withdrawing completely.
  • Sign and return your bill to the Cashier even if you receive Veteran's Educational benefits. Finalize on-line only if you pay in full or full financial aid is processed. Failure to sign will result in course cancellation.

Veteran recipients are ultimately responsible for tuition/fee payment to the college and for understanding their benefits. Helena College Veteran Resources does not determine VA education eligibility or beneficiary payments. The Veterans Affairs education processing office is the only facility that will determine the amount of payment that will be issued.

The amount of credits taken reflect the benefits received. View benefit rates at:

The Veterans Administration expects veterans to make satisfactory academic progress: Academic Progress


Montana University System Veterans Assistance Webpage

On Campus Free Mental Health Counseling: Call 447-6953 or 447-6956 to schedule an appointment.

Veteran's Educational Eligibility, Education & Training Programs, Licenses/Certifications: Ken Gemlich, MT OPI, 406-444-4122

Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31): Arturo Espinoza, 406-495-2013

Navigating the VA and Unresolved Problems: Bruce Knutson, Senator Jon Tester’s office, 406-449-5401

Veterans Administration Regional Muskogee, OK, Office: 1-888-442-4551

Monthly Enrollment Certification for Chapter 30 & 1606:  1-877-823-2378


Tammy Steckler, Room 119, tammy.steckler@helenacollege.edu
1115 N. Roberts Street, Helena, MT 59601 - PHONE 406-447-6953 - FAX 406-447-6397

Helena College Chat